Dragonfly tattoos designs

Dragonfly tattoos are usually rendered on the skin canvas with its transparent wings and iridescent colors. The dragonfly is a small and fragile insect yet it has an infectious appeal and beautiful appearance with its strong wings, elongated body and multi-faceted eyes. These characteristics and physical qualities make it a popular tattoo design among women.



Dragonfly tattoo designs can be seen inked on small areas of the body such as the foot, ankle and wrist. However, a significant number of tat enthusiasts also have them tattooed on their lower back or tail bone, hip area, lower stomach, shoulder blade and arms. Some prefer them in full colors with intricate details from the bulge in its eyes down to the small lines on its body. Others favor a simple outline of the dragonfly image either in colorful or black ink. This tattoo art is indeed very versatile and flexible that it can be tattooed almost anywhere in the body with different styles and rendition; yet somehow it can still manage to come out as a dazzling and fascinating piece of body art.  (Tattooed by Johnny at The Tattoo Studio 5 The high street Crayford Kent DA1 4HH)

When it comes to meaning, the symbolism of dragonfly tattoos vary depending on one’s culture and actually on the person wearing the tat. It can mean many things positive such as renewal, change, good luck and swiftness. It can represent wisdom and enlightenment as well as strength and endurance. In Japan, they look upon the dragonfly as a symbol of new light and joy. For the native Americans, it is a representation of moving forward after going through pain and hardships.

The meaning of dragonfly tattoos can also be interpreted based on its qualities. Since its life is short, it is look upon as a reminder for us to live life to the fullest. Since it can fly and roam freely, it can also be a symbol for a carefree and adventurous undertakings. It can mean a world of wonder and illusions where beauty and magic exist. Or it can just be a creature that can immortalize the memory of a loved-one who passed away by converting it into a memorable ink design.

Meanings and Symbolism of Dragonfly Tattoos for some tat enthusiasts…


Jenn says “The dragonfly is in remembrance of my grandmother who meant the world to me. She passed away in 1999 and for my 30th birthday I decided to get the dragonfly. My grandmother loved dragonflys and now every time I see a dragonfly flying around I say it is her being carefree.”


Ronnie says “I got this tattoo right after my Father died. It’s colorful and full of life and it keep him with me”.


Meaga says of her tattooI just love dragonflys that’s why I got this design”.


Marnie on why she got the tattooHonestly, I just wanted something pretty, nothing more or less than that. I’m having fun thinking about ways I’ll expand on it though and I hope to work it into something intricate in the near future“.

0 comments:

Post a Comment